The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Funding requirements for external PhD scholarships

Prospective PhD students that have obtained external funding for their studies from an agency or government in their home country can be admitted to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Medicine at Lund University. However this only applies to the first year of studies. After the first year, the student has to be employed by Lund University for the remaining three years. There are a few exceptions to this rule and you can contact the PhD Studies Office for more information.

There are also a number of criteria this funding should meet, in order for us to take your application to our PhD programme under consideration.

These are:

  1. Your funding should amount to at least 22.322 SEK per month.
  2. This funding should be guaranteed for at least 4 years.
  3. Your funding should be a scholarship/stipend.
  4. You should have an official letter from your funding agency stating the above.

Please note that the Faculty does not accept scholarships with conditions of reimbursements in case the PhD student does not perform according to the study plan, or succeed in the examinations and obtain a degree.  

The Research Studies Board Faculty has a decided on Rules of Procedure for Review of Foreign Scholarships for Research Studies in order to review applications to make sure that they meet the requirements. 

Rules of Procedure for Review of Foreign Scholarships for Research Studies (PDF 295 kB, new tab)

All students financed with an external scholarship will have to obtain a certificate from the scholarship giver at admission, stating that there are no contracts between the scholarship giver and the student/or a third party, which implicate that the scholarship has to be reimbursed in case the PhD studies are not completed or performed according the study plan.

The certificate can be found here:

Certificate from scholarship provider (PDF 219 kB, new tab)

Also note that there are no funds available for foreign PhD students from Lund University, and that you can not fund your studies with your private funding. You need to have obtained a scholarship.

If you have external funding that meets the above requirements, and you meet the eligibility criteria, you can proceed with the application process.