Faculty of Medicine at Lund University
The Faculty of Medicine, in close cooperation with agents within public healthcare and medicine, contributes to increasing knowledge of high relevance to human health. This is done through education and research of the highest quality in cooperation with wider society.
Our discoveries for a better tomorrow
Our faculty was established when Lund University was founded in 1666 and since then has had many considerable achievements. Did you know that at the Faculty of Medicine:
- The first apparatus for artificial respiration was constructed
- The world’s first clinically usable artificial kidney was developed
- Sweden's first experimental MR imaging (MRI) unit was constructed
- Nicorette – the world’s first nicotine medicine was developed
- The first echo-cardiogram for ultrasound examination of the heart was developed.
Learn more about our history of innovations and pioneering ideas
Read more about personalities in our history
What do we do?
The Faculty of Medicine is committed to excellence in education and research, in cooperation with wider society. We conduct education and research within the field of health sciences, experimental basic research, and clinical research.